Thursday, November 3, 2011

Teaching....

I ALWAYS knew I wanted to teach.  I just wasn't sure which grade I should teach.  I loved each one I was in.  :)  I was the kid who at age 8 had a chalkboard in her bedroom and would teach my dolls and stuffed animals!!   I thought elementary would be fun because I could twirl a whistle at recess, but I chose high school.  I love high school kids, though they can make you a little crazy.  I chose to teach social studies because I had a few social studies teacher that took what many considered a "boring" subject and made it interesting.  I would have to thank Bob and Sandy Thompson for that!  :)

I have taught in two different places and have loved them both.  High school kids are a lot of fun, a lot of work at times, but a lot of fun.  There is this misconception about teachers....this idea that we have a lot of time off.  :)  I won't lie, it is one of the perks of the job....time in the summers, time around Christmas, my Spring Break....but the the amount of time I actually put in at work is a lot and makes up for quite a bit of that time off.

Teaching is an emotional job.  For some of the kids school is the only "safe spot" they have.  Their teachers are the only ones who are truly looking out for them.  Since I have been teaching I have lost at least 5 students.  Each of those lives was taken, in my opinion, too early.  My most emotional loss was, of course, Miryah.  Sometimes I still look at the clock and think, I should be at her house, working with her right now.....unfortunately I can't.  I recently worked with another student that had no food in her home....can you really imagine that, I mean...it wasn't that she didn't have what she wanted in her house..it was the fact she had NO FOOD!!!  Heartbreaking!

I love the idea that I am making a difference.  I love it when the kids tell me they wish they could stay in my class instead of going to their next class, I love it when the kids tell me they want to be teachers.

I have always felt that with teaching I have had the best of both worlds...lots of time with my girls, but still a fun job to go to each day.

I am so thankful that I have a job I love.  I am thankful I work with great people and get to make an impact on kids lives.  I am also very thankful that I am off of work tomorrow!  Have a GREAT day!!  :)

Me...trying to look professional!  :)

3 comments:

  1. You are excellent at what you do. You definitely chose the right field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Darci, you made me cry. My life is better knowing you. I actually always wanted to be a high school history teacher. I had the best teachers in high school. I had two of them at my wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cathy!!

    I didn't mean to make you cry!! :) Thanks so much though!!! :) I love what I do and am lucky I get to do it!!! I am so glad I have been able to get to know you some too! I love reading your blogs and keeping up with you!!!

    ReplyDelete