Thursday, June 30, 2011

If that was my child...I would NEVER....:)

Parenting is hard.  It is so much easier to watch!  :)  I was in Wal-Mart the other day with both girls and Autumn was pushing the cart.  A woman needed down the aisle, so I told Autumn to move the cart over...the woman smiled at me as though we were completely blocking her day.  Then when we were to the side she still didn't come through.  She proceeded to ask me if I wanted a trip to the ER....she didn't want to step on my childs toes....and said she was sure I didn't want that cost.  Now, here's the thing..she could have made it past me...she just wanted to make a comment.  I didn't say anything when I saw her grandchild climbing on the coke stack at the end of the aisle.

I can remember a time at the Purple Cow when Autumn was little and fussing!!!!  I gave her crackers, I held her, I did everything I could think of and nothing worked...so I took her to the car so she could calm down.  As we were coming back inside an old lady told me to try more crackers next time....WHAT??  I was trying to make it so everyone else in the restaurant could enjoy their meal and I get told what to do?

I know my parenting skills aren't perfect, but today at a garage sale Autumn was selling lemonade and without being told she called adults sir and ma'am and said please and thank you and told everyone to have a nice day. That made me PROUD!

In todays time I see so many kids disrespect their parents and parents saying "I just don't know what to do with them."  The answer....be a parent.  Teach right from wrong, teach your kids to be polite, respectful, and compassionate towards others.

It's so much easier to know how to discipline a child when it isn't your child.  I am amazed what some kids are allowed to say or how they act, but they aren't my kids and it's not my job to teach them that (unless they are in my classroom...then they are fair game (to some extent)).  :)  That however, doesn't mean I wouldn't like to teach them!

Now, please do not think my kids are perfect....I KNOW they aren't and I know I don't parent how others think I should.  I am sure I get onto them for things others think I shouldn't or don't get on to them for things others think I should.  However, I am trying to do my best and I hope my girls act the way they should when I am not around...that is true test of parenting.....how kids act when you aren't there!

Have a GREAT evening!!!

1 comment:

  1. Very good... loved the comment about the grandkids climbing on the stack of coke boxes... So typical! And yes, your kids are good!

    ReplyDelete