Sunday, June 19, 2011

Father's Day...not what it used to be...

I remember, as a kid, watching some of the old TV shows, like Leave It To Beaver, Father Knows Best, Ozzie and Harriet.  The role of Dad was not what it is today.  I just remember the dad coming home and giving his wife a kiss, then eating dinner.  I think he read the paper before or after dinner, but I know the kids weren't around unless there were discipline issues or they just needed to talk.



As I grew up I remember loving the Cosby Show.  I thought Bill Cosby ROCKED!!  He did some cooking, grocery shopping, disciplining, advice giving, and still laughed with his kids.  That show was GREAT!


In my "real life" my parents owned their own restaurant and so if one parent was working the other was home with us.  I can remember my mom going to church camp with a group of women for a few days and dad was home with my brother and I.  I can remember having sandwiches and spaghetti...that my dad baked and used ketchup in!  I remember really liking it!!!  I also remember my dad coached my t-ball teams and worked lots with me in the yard on catching pop flies!  (sometimes after dark when I could know longer see the ball....but that is another story!)  :)  I also remember my dad scaring my friends at my slumber party by sneaking out windows and tapping on windows and wearing masks at the front door!  It was so much fun!
My Dad, brother, and nephew

Now to my husband....people tell me all the time how lucky I am.  Mark helps get the girls ready for school, often packs their lunches, helps clean, helps cook, helps give the girls showers, helps get them to bed, plays with them, coaches their soccer teams, and is there for advice.  I know I am lucky....and I'm going to just bust this out...what I am lucky about is that I found the right person.  I found the person to marry who is an all-round Dad!  He gives me a kiss before he leaves for work and one when he gets home.  He reads the paper, loves it when I cook, and loves being at his kids events.  I don't know why people wouldn't want someone like this in their lives....in their kids lives.  I know this was a huge brag session....but being that it is Father's Day I believe my husband deserves a brag session.  I hope his dad is FABULOUS, all because he makes our lives FABULOUS!
Mark, the coach!

Mark...teaching the girls to fish!

Mark...just being an awesome dad!
Happy Father's Day to all the wonderful Dads out there!!

2 comments:

  1. Love the transition via t.v. sitcoms. Things have changed a lot. And I think Mark beats all the sitcom dads hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Cathy!!! I think so too! :)

    ReplyDelete