Thursday, February 3, 2011

Friends...hard to find the good ones!

Friendship is an interesting thing.  Allie (my 5 year old) is at the stage where she has a couple "best friends" and then the "best friend" which is the person she played with that day.  Autumn (8) is a  trickier situation...she is at the stage where she has a BFF and when it changes we have LOTS of DRAMA!!!  I try to tell her that friends change over time.  I try to remind her that she plays with different people all the time and that it is okay if you don't play with the same person every day.

The truth is that friendship is tough.  I had lots of friends when I was in school and then I had good friends in college.  I got married and moved away from most of my friends.  Now, don't get me wrong...Mark is my best friend.  He listens to me and says all the correct things...but sometimes you need your girlfriends.  That was tough for me when we first got married.  Mark knew people around here and I didn't.  It has just been this past few years where I really feel like I have made some true BFFS down here.  I still have friends from home who I can pick up the phone and we talk like we never left off and I LOVE those people.

I have some friends who I have completely connected with because of Facebook and those people have such an important part in my life and often get my "secret statuses" (you know...the things you really feel and want to say, but know you shouldn't).  Then there are my friends who live close and I get to see on a regular basis.  They send Chex Mix to my room, write on my wall randomly, and send me e-mails asking why I'm not at lunch yet.  I love getting random texts from friends filling me in on their day or asking about mine.  Some of my friends are younger than me (this makes me sad...I don't like to think I am aging), some are my age, and some are older than me....or more experienced than me.  Either way....they all make life so much better.

I know my girls are still learning about friendship...but I hope they are as lucky as I am in the friend department!!!  It sure makes each day better!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for putting into words what I think most if not all women feel.

    ReplyDelete