Sunday, April 3, 2011

Back when I was a kid.......

I was thinking today (I'm sure the adult term is reflecting) about my childhood today.  I mean, it was an AWESOME weekend, the weather was great and we were outside tons!  The girls played and played.  They rode their bikes, their scooters, played in mud piles, climbed trees, it was great!  I love that they love being outside, especially since so many people, don't play outside anymore!  There was a family that used to live in our neighborhood and they had 2 boys, one was very book smart and the other an athlete.  One afternoon the "book smart" boy was running up and down the street.  He came over and asked me if he was sweating.  I said, "No, not yet...why?"  His response, he got in trouble and was told to go out and play.  He was not allowed back inside until he was sweating!  WOW!!!!  Talk about parenting for a specific child!

I can remember as a kid, when things were a lot different, doing lots of things outside!  My brother and I used to ride our bikes all over our neighborhood...and we had some massive hills!  We would even ride before school!!!!  We got AM radios for our bikes one year from our grandmother and we would listen to the radio as we rode.  We were SUPER COOL!!!
Oh my goodness....I think this was exactly what we had!!!


We also used to play a game called "Swinging Statues."  My brother introduced that game to my girls the last time we saw him!  I remember chasing fire flies and playing on my swing set.


I can remember staying out in the yard, past dark while my dad threw pop ups to me in the yard.  It would be so dark and I couldn't even see the ball and he would tell me I had to catch 10 in a row!  UGH!!!  Thank goodness mom would come out and save me!  :)

I also remember being at the softball park...not like now, where you are there year round, but just from maybe March until July.  We didn't play year round softball.  I started with T-ball.  We didn't go to pitching until we were like 8 or so.  Now, girls start with slow pitch!

I can remember having Kiwanis Kids Day...where we all got to try like a variety of sports....track, softball throw (Jamie always beat me at that), long jump, etc.  It was a GREAT time!

My memories from when I was kid almost always involve being outside, which I think is GREAT!  I hope my girls remember how much fun they had outside!  I hope I remember to stop and just play outside!  It's funny....I picture myself enjoying a lazy day on my patio reading a book and then the weekend ends and I wonder why I didn't have time for it.....the truth is I did.  Instead, I sat on my patio drinking my sweet tea playing on my iphone.  Hmmmm......back when I was a kid we didn't have iphones!  :)

2 comments:

  1. Enjoyed the blog - it was a perfect weekend to make memories and I'm sure the girls will remember these things later on. (And maybe blog about it?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can remember doing so many of those things with you and your brother. My oh my, the wonderful memories you have brought back. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete