Sunday, April 17, 2011

Happiness...it can be contagious!

I was reading an article in the May edition of my Parenting magazine and it really got me thinking....It is entitled....The Secrets of Happy Families.  Of course I read it, and was happy to see that we have a lot of the traits listed....however sometimes I need a new perspective.

These are the 6 things to remember:

1. Happiness is basic.   This is so true...it is the littlest things that make me happy.  An unexpected hug, chocolate milk for breakfast, seeing the laundry is already folded....the little things.

2. Happiness changes over time.   When I first had Autumn...I was ELATED, then I knew I would be happier when she slept through the night, then when she was eating real food, then, when she could talk, etc.  What makes me happy is something different.....as we grow.

3. Happiness is contagious.  I LOVE this one, it is SOOOOO true.  The happier my girls are...the happier I am.  It is so sad, that one upset, or negative person can have so much control.  When my morning starts with an upset child....it makes it harder to have that happiness.

4. Happiness can't be controlled.  There are times we're just not going to be happy.  We have to punish, we have to say no, to something wanted.  As much as I love my family...sometimes we are going to face tough days, and that is okay.

5. Happiness doesn't always make you happy.  This is also very true....hurrying my girls from school to gymnastics, can sometimes make me crazy...but when they accomplish something they have been working hard for....the result is pure joy!!

6. Happiness just happened...and you missed it.  Sadly enough, sometimes it is after the fact that I realized how wonderful something was.  Then, I just want to talk about it for the next 2 weeks so that it won't go away.  We have to remember to stop and actually enjoy what is going on around us.....the dishes will wait, it's okay to sit and snuggle with my girls.

I consider myself a pretty optimistic person....but sometimes I feel that I am becoming more negative.  The truth is...no one really wants to be around someone who complains ALL the time.  It is time to be happier....recognize the happy moments, embrace them, and remember them after they have passed.

Enjoy the sunshine this beautiful Sunday!!!

1 comment:

  1. Good points - especially about missing happiness; I never thought about really watching for those times; it's so easy, at least for me, to see the negative.

    ReplyDelete