Wednesday, January 18, 2012

How well do we really know each other??

There is a post from Huffington Post circulating on Facebook and it is really good.

  Don't Carpe Diem  If you haven't read this, it is really good.  It is about the reality of parenting and how others view it.  It made tons of sense to me...and yes, I love it when the girls go to bed and I get quiet time. :)

However, this post really got me thinking.  There is another side to this story.  How about when a stranger critiques our parenting skills?  I mean, when someone tells us how to do our job better.  All of the sudden we become defiant.  Our defense mechanism kicks in and we find ourselves thinking or saying that we know what is best and that these are our children, who we love and cherish and how dare someone think we don't do a good job!

Society is changing. I wonder when we were kids, how our parents communicated how parenting was going for them.  I mean, did my parents pretend they enjoyed every minute?  Did they anxiously wait for bedtime all the while pretending that they were embracing every minute when others were around?  Did they meet up with friends and talk about the hard times of parenting?

I think things are different for us.  So many people equate all of their relationships to Facebook or Twitter.  We let a status define us.

 Some people post how wonderful their kids are and what a wonderful day they had, how much they accomplished the entire time they had 2 sick children that were hanging off of them.  We see that and think...UGH!  Overachiever!!!  We end up comparing ourselves to them and often, we feel we come up short.

Then there is the other side.....the people who complain on Facebook constantly.  They are too busy with their kids stuff, their kids are always a problem, their kids are always sick and then we find ourselves thinking....UGH!!  So glad I'm not like that!

What kind of REAL conversations do we have with people?  Do you know how your friends lives are really going?  I know people don't want to hear lots of negative statuses, so most of the time, I post the positive.

But, what do you really know about me?  Do you know about the days I am sad?  Do you know about the days I am upset?  Do you really want to know?  Or would you rather hear the light hearted, fun things my family is involved in?  If you don't care about any of that...you may want to delete me as a friend, or stop following me on Twitter.  :)   I am a Mom, a wife, a teacher, a daughter, a friend, and a person....I have good days and bad days.  I try my best and want my family and friends to be happy.  I love the fact I have friends who DO know what is really going on in my life and know the ups and downs and don't judge me for the good and the bad.  Remember, there is more to us than what you see and yes....my girls are in bed!  :)

Look how sweet they can be...:)  
 

Have a GREAT night!

1 comment:

  1. So very true. I actually was going to write a very similar post. Life isn't always perfect and we can share the imperfection.

    ReplyDelete