Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Confessions of a Bad Mom....Part 1

Okay.....I am about to be brutally honest.  I have given this blog a title of Confessions of a Bad Mom...Part 1, because I am SURE there are many other confessions to come, but today I will pick just one.

First, let me start by saying that I love my girls....they are the BEST and make my job of being a mom my favorite job in the whole world. That being said, they talk a LOT!!!  Now, those of you who know me know that they get this trait from their dad (yeah, right!)  UGH!!  It is a me trait!  Autumn is a visual talker...she talks constantly and uses lots of descriptives, hand motions, body movements, tumbling acts, dance moves, and well, her stories are L-O-N-G!  Nothing wrong with this, but I find myself multi-tasking through the stories.  This makes me sad at times, because I feel I should be giving her my full attention during these riveting stories....so, I will try to work on this.  (Maybe...)  :)

Allie....well, she talks a LOT, but she is more short and to the point, so I find myself listening to her conversation intently until I realize she is going to tell about 500 stories in a short period, and she randomly throws in things that don't make sense.  Things like....my day was great today, I had fun playing outside, I found a moon rock, I think I have ants in my pants, can I go out and play?  What?  Moon rock?  Ants?  Sure, honey....go on out!  What?  How come I'm not asking more questions?

Speaking of questions...just about every conversation in our house that will involve a question starts like this...."Mom, can I ask you a question?"  I tried the response..."You just did.." but it was just met with, "Can I ask another one?"  Sure.  :)

I never thought, key word being THOUGHT, I would be the kind of mom that smiled and nodded at their child and was thinking about a million other things....truth...I am.  :(

Now, I do LOVE our real conversations....the ones where they REALLY talk to me....about their friends, their day, the dreams, goals, etc.  I also, never want to miss out on any of the other conversations either.  I LOVE that they want to talk to me and I am so glad they have so much to say.

So, this mom will try to be a better listener.....a new goal.

Have a GREAT night!  Thanks for listening to me!  :)

2 comments:

  1. It's hard having a talker. Conner talks all day long. I tune him out a lot. I need to work on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard being a teacher with kids talking to you all day long and coming home to anyone who wants to talk! At least on some days. But you are a really good mom! (If you weren't, I just wouldn't have responded to this blog at all...but I can honestly say you do an excellent job with your girls.)

    ReplyDelete